E. Tredcroft Esqr’s (top left & right)
Edward Tredcroft was Master of the Hampshire Hunt from 1856-1862 (hence the decoration of the fox’s head and two crossed whips). The 1861 census showed that he was living at Candover House (or Park) in Brown Candover. Edward leased Candover House from its owner, Bingham Baring, 2nd Lord Ashburton, after basing himself and his stud at the Swan Inn, Alresford. Edward Tredcroft had had to sell Warnham Court, the Manor House in Horsham, and all his Sussex estates, between 1854 and 1856, to cover his racing debts. While Master of the Hampshire Hunt, Edward Tredcroft hunted three or more days a week in the winter and, on alternate days, with his huntsman. His later financial problems chiefly stemmed from his dedication to these and other sports and the resources he devoted to them. It was said of him in Sporting Reminiscences of Hampshire that “Mr. Tredcroft was a very zealous sportsman and spared no expense in the maintenance of his establishment, and his servants were mounted in first-rate style.”
Capt. Wombwell. Hon. F. Curzon. Capt. Peyton. Lord Andover. Sir George Wombwell. (bottom)
This shooting party was photographed at Newburgh Park, Coxwold, North Yorkshire (now called Newburgh Priory). It was and is the family home of the Wombwell’s.
- Captain Wombwell (standing left) was Adolphus Ulick Wombwell, born 1834. He was named after Lord Adolphus FitzClarence and was a younger brother of Sir George Orby Wombwell. He became a Captain in 1855, and was promoted Lt. Col. in the 12th (Prince of Wales’s) Royal Lancers in 1871. He married Mary Caroline, daughter of Col. Myddelton-Biddulph of Chirk Castle.
- The Hon. F. Curzon (seated on left) is the Hon. Frederick Curzon (1823-1881), a younger son of Richard, 1st Earl Howe. He was a brother of the Duchess of Beaufort and Lady Westmorland.
- Captain Peyton (standing centre) was Algernon William Peyton, who became a Captain in the 1st Life Guards in 1856. He succeeded to his father’s baronetcy in 1866 and was later Master of the Bicester Hunt.
- Henry Howard (seated on right of the bench) was known as Viscount (or Lord) Andover between 1851 and 1876, but he became 18th Earl of Suffolk and 11th Earl of Berkshire on his father’s death. He was M.P. for Malmesbury from 1859 to 1868.
- Sir George Orby Wombwell, 4th Bt. (1832-1913) (standing right), served as a Cornet of the 17th Lancers during the Crimean War. As an aide-de-camp to Lord Cardigan, he rode immediately behind him in the Charge of the Light Brigade, at the Battle of Balaclava. During the battle, his horse was shot from under him. He managed to escape the Russians, who were holding him prisoner, by jumping on a loose horse. He retired from the army in 1855, after his father’s death, when he inherited Newburgh Park, Coxwold, North Yorkshire. He served as High Sheriff of Yorkshire in 1861 and married Lady Julia Sarah Alice Child-Villiers, daughter of the 6th Earl of Jersey, in the same year. He had two sons, who both died before him; one in India, and the other in South Africa. At one time, he was considered to be the best-dressed man in London, and his estates were said to be the best-managed in England. He was Master of the York and Ainsty Hounds, for several years. At the time of his death, he was the last surviving officer of the Charge of the Light Brigade.