Sir Thomas John Tyrwhitt Jones, second baronet. Born 12th July, 1793, in Portland Place, Middlesex, and bred at Eton and Christ Church, Oxford. Succeeded his father in November, 1811. Was Sheriff of Shropshire in 1816, and M.P. for Bridgnorth in June, 1818. He travelled much in Europe, before railways had hackneyed such tours. He married Elizabeth Walwyn Macnamara, youngest daughter of John Macnamara, Esq., of St. Christopher’s, at Broadwater, near Worthing, Sussex, 13th June, 1821.
He took great pleasure in improving the mansion and grounds at Stanley for which he had a fine natural taste. In October, 1826, he lost the sight of his right eye, from an accidental shot fired by a friend in a shooting party at Emstrey, near Shrewsbury. A single pellet was said to have glanced from a tree against the eye, through which it penetrated, and could never be extracted.The consequences were most distressing. After many years’ severe affliction, he died calm and resigned at Stanley, 8th October, 1839, at 2 A.M., in his 46th year — the same age his father had attained. He was buried in the Jones’ vault at St. Alkmund’s, Shrewsbury. His will made as far back as 1826, was proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury, 26th December, 1839, and 16th January, 1840. His picture, by Pickersgill, remains at Stanley. His son and heir was the present
Sir Henry Thomas Tyrwhitt, third baronet. Born at Stanley in April, and baptized at Astley Abbotts 16th May, 1824. On 17th September, 1841, he was Gazetted Second Lieutenant in the 2nd Battalion of the Rifle Brigade, by the surname of Sir H.T. Tyrwhitt Jones, which was corrected in the Gazette of 16th November, a royal licence1 having, in that year, enabled him to drop the name of Jones. He thus resumed the name of his paternal ancestors as a surname. He joined his battalion at Bermuda, in October, 1841, and went with it to Halifax, in Nova Scotia. In January, 1845, he became a First Lieutenant. He returned to England in 1846, and left the army in July, 1847. After traveling much, he, in November, 1853, married at St. Michael’s, Chester Square, London, Emma Harriet, only daughter of the late Hon. and Rev. Robert Wilson, brother of the fifth Lord Berners, and niece of the present Lord. The fair bride was only 17.
They have issue, 1. Harry, born 7th August, 1854. 2. Raymond Robert, born 23rd July, 1855. 3. Hugh, born 14th July, 1856. 4. Clement, born 21st October, 1857. All born at Ashwelthorpe Hall, near Wymondham, Norfolk.
The other children of Sir T. J. Tyrwhitt Jones (who are now named Tyrwhitt only by royal licence), as above, are —
2. Edmund, a Lieutenant in the 51st Bengal Native Infantry, in the Sikh war. Being wounded at the siege of Moultan in the Punjaub on 2nd January, 1849, he returned to England on sick leave in 1850, and on 10th February, 1851, married, at St. George’s, Hanover Square, Mary Jane, daughter of Richard Ford, Esq., of Park Street, Grosvenor Square,1 and Heavitree, Devon, and his wife, a daughter of the ninth Lord Cranstoun. They have two daughters born in India; the eldest at Jullundur, 3rd June, 1853, another born 22nd March, 1857, at Mussoorie, a hill station and military cantonment, 110 miles from Meerut.2 Mr. Edmund Tyrwhitt has been honourably mentioned for good service in attacking tribes of mountain robbers near the Kohat Pass, in the Peshawur district, on 23rd February, 1855.3 In February, 1857, he was second in command of the 14th Bengal Irregular Cavalry, on march from Peshawur to Jhansi in Bundelcund, but was absent on leave, 5th June, when they mutinied there.4 Appointed 23rd October, 1857, to command the Mounted Police Force of the Meerut Division, 600 strong.
3. George Booth, 5th Bombay Native Infantry. Ensign in 1847, Lieutenant in 1851. Interpreter in 1853. Quartered at Ahmedabad, Guzerat, in April, 1849; at Kurrachee, in Scinde, April, 1851. Appointed adjutant to a veteran battalion in 1853; and, in 1854, deputy collector for the district of Meerpoor, in Scinde, fifty miles east of Hyderabad. A most effective officer.5
4. Harriet Anne. Married, 4th August, 1846, John George Sheppard, Esq., of High House,1 Campsey Ashe, near Woodbridge, co. Suffolk.
5. Charlotte Frances. Married Albert Ricardo, Esq., 6th August, 1850.
Colonel Charles Tyrwhitt (unattached).
Equerry to H.R.H. the Duke of Cambridge, and one of his Aide-de-camps as Commander in Chief. Ensign, 2nd battalion Scots Fusilier Guards, 1st August, 1834; Lieutenant, 26th February, 1836; Captain, 15th November, 1839; Lieutenant-Colonel, 6th July, 1849; Colonel, July, 1855. Served the Eastern campaign of 1854, as Aide-de-camp to the Duke of Cambridge, and was present at the battles of Alma and Inkerman, and the siege of Sebastopol. Medal and three clasps.2
His sister, Leila Tyrwhitt, married, in 1848, Hylton Jolliffe, Esq., eldest son of Sir William George Hylton Jolliffe, Bart. As Lieutenant in the Coldstream Guards, he was with his battalion at the battle of the Alma, in the Crimea, in September, 1854, and unhappily died of cholera, at Balaclava, 4th October, 1854. His widow and two children, viz., Eleanor Agnes, born 17th June, 1849, and Hilda, born May, 1854, survive him.
He left Joshpore with them on the 30th October, and by indefatigable energy and perseverance brought them safe to Hyderabad on 30th November. See Prichard’s ‘Mutinies in Rajpootana’ (Parker’s, London, 1860), pp. 191, 254-264, 268, for the interesting details.
We find him again, in April, 1857, marching with a strong body of horse to Nuggur Parkur, in Scinde, to quell a disturbance, threatened by 3,000 coolies collected by Rajpoot Thakors (gentry) of that district. He seems to have beaten them, and to have occupied Nuggur about May, and though surprised there at night, in July, to have repulsed them, inflicting severe loss (‘Bombay Mail,’ 12 May, 1857), copied in ‘Times’ and ‘Standard,’ also ‘Bombay Mail,’ 5 July, 1859, copied in ‘Times,’ 16 Aug.
Tyrwhitt, Robert Philip. Notices and remains of the family of Tyrwhitt: originally seated in Northumberland, at Tyrwhitt (or Trewhitt): afterwards in Lincolnshire, at Kettleby, Stainfield, Scotter, and Cameringham; and more recently in Shropshire and Denbighshire (A.D. 1067 to 1862), 1858 1862, (N.p.), 72-74.